Hello! I’m not super savvy with website stuff, but I’ll be using this page to post updates on upcoming releases and other tidbits of news related to 1859 Records. Feel free to subscribe or whatever.
I do want to say that I appreciate everyone’s patience with the long periods of time between pre-orders and the actual vinyl pressing. My old policy was to put up a pre-order page as soon as I approved a test pressing, but everything is taking longer than it used to, due to resurgence in popularity of the vinyl format. From now on, I’m planning on posting pre-orders the same month that the vinyl is expected to be released. That way, you don’t have to wait so long between ordering and getting the vinyl in your sweaty hands … and I don’t have to feel bad every time I have to respond to an inquiry about whether or not I forget about an order! Everybody wins.
Upcoming releases in the next 2-3 months:
* 1859-15 – VICIOUS PLEASURES 7″ – co-release w/ Different Kitchen Records (UK) (300 copies – 100 black/100 translucent blue/100 translucent green + 4 test pressings) – 4 brand-new frantic tracks from this high-energy Portland punk outfit recorded by Stan Wright @ Buzz or Howl (Arctic Flowers)! Steeped in the gloom of the Pacific Northwest, Vicious Pleasures play a dark & catchy and blend of Crass and Wipers influenced punk rock. Sara’s tuneful singing interplays nicely with Lisa’s hooky guitar riffs, backed by the solid performance of the rhythm section. The vinyl is in, the jackets are almost ready! Listen/pre-order here: http://1859records.bandcamp.com/album/vicious-pleasures-s-t-7-inch-ep
* 1859-16 – BLACKBIRD RAUM Under The Starling Host 12″ LP (500 copies – 300 black/100 white/100 purple + 100 test pressings) – A classic album from this Santa Cruz-based anarcho folk/punk band coming soon on vinyl — exclusively from 1859 Records! New artwork by Joshum Hardy (www.joshum.net). Should be shipping by the end of October. Listen/pre-order here: http://1859records.bandcamp.com/album/blackbird-raum-under-the-starling-host-12-inch-lp
* 1859-17 – WRETCHED OF THE EARTH Fire To Their Houses 12″ LP (300 copies – 200 black/100 translucent red + 4 rejected test pressings + 4 approved test pressings; heavy-duty paper folder jackets w/ bronze ink + large photocopied booklet) – Dynamic mix of Portland crust and Iron Maiden-style riffage. Catchy, political music from a band composed of ex-A//Political + Squalora members. There have unfortunately been delays with this project, due to rejected test pressings, but it’s scheduled to be out by the end of November. Listen/pre-order here: http://1859records.bandcamp.com/album/wretched-of-the-earth-fire-to-their-houses-12-inch-lp
* 1859-18 – PAGERIPPER Bruce Jams, Vol III one-sided 12″ EP – co-release w/ Different Kitchen Records (UK) (300 copies – 100 black/100 opaque orange [USA]/100 coke-bottle clear [UK] + 4 test pressings) – Gritty and gruff punk from this prolific Portland trio. Somewhere between pop-punk and hardcore? It’s hard to pinpoint, but suffice to say, these 7 songs are really good. Should be out in November, stay tuned for a pre-order. In the meantime, check out their excellent debut 7″ here: http://pageripper.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-7
* 1859-19 – NO///SE Lower Berth 12″ LP – co-release w/ Man-In-Decline Records (USA) (500 copies – 300 black/100 translucent blue /100 another color [MID] + 4 test pressings) – Surf meets punk meets garage meets hardcore? It’s hard to say, but this band definitely doesn’t pull any punches. Hard-hitting, melodic, pissed, and catchy as hell punk from the Bay Area/Portland. Awesome stuff! This is their second full-length. Ex-Glass & Ashes, Young Livers, Youth Brigade, Stop Breathing, blah blah blah. Check out their previous 7″ on 1859/Different Kitchen here: http://1859records.bandcamp.com/album/o-s-beach-bathroom-bingo-b-w-all-the-little-things-you-love-to-hate-7-inch
On the dark horizon:
* 1859-20 –DARK CIRCLES MMXIV 12″ LP – multi-label (500 copies) – Brutal, depressing blackened crust from Montreal. Not unlike Tragedy, HHIG, From Ashes Rises, et cetera. Intense!
* 1859-21 – THE SIEGE FIRE Dead Refuge 12″ LP (300 copies – 200 black/100 color; gatefold jacket) – Another dose of that dark, yet melodic, crust that brings to mind later HHIG … this time straight out of Portland.
* 1859-22 – SOL Black Mountain 12″ LP (300 copies – 200 black/100 white) – Excellent debut from this Portland-based ambient post-metal outfit. Incredible vocals that bring to mind Neurosis, with catchy, heavy parts throughout textured soundscapes. Listen here: http://deathculturetapes.bandcamp.com/album/s-l-black-mountain
* 1859-23 – VUKARI En To Pan 12″ EP (300 copies – 200 black/100 colors) – A bit of a departure for 1859, this Chicago bands plays an excellent blend of atmospheric black metal/post-metal. Dynamic, interesting music that brings to mind Agalloch, among others. Listen here: http://vukari.bandcamp.com/
* 1859-24 – BLACKBIRD RAUM Swidden double 12″ LP (500 copies) – Another classic album of theirs on vinyl! Should be out sometime in April.
* 1859-25 – ABOLITIONIST Pathogen 12″ LP (pressing TBD) – More melodic, thematic punk from this Portland band. The album will follow two squatter crusty punks as they make their way across Portland in the aftermath of an airborne plague. Listen to older stuff here: http://abolitionist.bandcamp.com
1. I still have plenty of green copies of the one-sided NERVOUS TREND 12″, but I’m low on black copies. Either way, don’t snooze on this awesome record! 5 tracks of incredible Australian post-punk. FFO: Arctic Flowers, Belgrado. Listen/order here: http://1859records.bandcamp.com/album/nervous-trend-s-t-12-inch-ep
2. The GRAND COLLAPSE 12″ LP recently had a great review in MRR (read it here: http://maximumrocknroll.com/record-of-the-week-grand-collapse-far-from-the-callous-crowd-lp/). This excellent Welsh band (featuring Cal Sewell, son of Stig/ICONS OF FILTH [RIP]) plays an intense melodic thrash. Good stuff! 100 copies available here in the states via 1859. Listen/order here: http://1859records.bandcamp.com/album/grand-collapse-far-from-the-callous-crowd-12-inch-lp
3. Still a few copies of the RUBRICS/ABOLITIONIST 7″ left! 9 tracks of political pop-punk from South Carolina/Portland, respectively. Listen/download for free here: http://1859records.bandcamp.com/album/rubrics-abolitionist-split-7-inch
Stay tuned for more upcoming releases! 2015 should be another busy one for the label. Cheers for the support!